August 24, 2010

P.s. I Love You


“Are you okay, Holly?” Sharon asked.
Holly sighed. “Every time someone asked me that question, Sharon, I say “I’m fine, thank you,” but to be honest I’m not. Do people really want to know how you feel when they asked, “How are you?”? Or are they just trying to be polite?’ Holly Smiled.
‘The next time the woman across the road from my house says to me “How are you?” I’m going to say to her; well, actually, I’m not very well at all. thank you. I’m feeling a bit depressed and lonely. Pissed off at the world. Envious of you and your perfect little family but not particularly envious of your husband at having to live with you. And then I’ll tell her about how I started a new job and met lots of new people and how I’m trying hard to pick myself up but that I’m now at a loss about what else to do. Then I’ll tell her how it pisses me off when everyone says time is a healer when at the same time they also say absence makes the heart row fonder, which really confuses me, because that means that the longer he’s gone the more I want him. I’ll tell her that nothing is healing at all and that every morning I when up in my empty bed it feels like salt is being rubbed in those unheal-ing wounds. And then I will tell her how much I miss my husband and how worthless my life seems without him. And how uninteresting I’m getting on things without him and I’ll explain how I feel like I’m just waiting for my world to end so that I can join him. She’ll probably just say, “Oh, that’s good” like she always does, kiss her husband goodbye and hop into her car and drop her kids to school, go to work, make dinner and go to bed with her husband and she’ll have done it all while I’m still trying to decide what colour shirt to wear to work.”
‘Oh sharon, if only every minutes of my life was filled with perfect little moments like this I’ll never moan again”
‘But, Holly, Nobody’s life is filled with perfect little moments, And if they were, they would just be normal. How would you ever know happiness if you’d never experienced downs?”

No comments:

Post a Comment